A brief history
Between the Council of Ministers, the European Parliament, the European Commission, the Committee of the Regions and the Economic and Social Committee, a large empty space allows one to see a red brick building, an old convent attached to which is small white chapel, built in the classical style: it is the Chapel of the Resurrection.
These buildings date from 1907 and are an identical version of a large convent, built in the nineteenth century in the centre of Brussels, near the present Central station. Next to them is a fifteenth century chapel, which was heavily restored in the eighteenth century. A compulsory purchase order was placed on these buildings, as part of major urban development projects at the beginning of the twentieth century.
In 1989, the elderly nuns decided to sell this group of buildings, including the small chapel. In 1999, a large property company undertook their restoration. They agreed to sell the small chapel separately to an international Belgian legal association, thus uniting European civil servants and others involved in the construction of Europe with different levels of responsibility.
In 1999 and 2000, the purchase of the building, its restoration and conversion at a cost of 1.6 million euros were financed by donations from many private individuals, the Belgian Jesuit Order, the European Catholic Foyer, the La Viale-Opstal Community, the Catholic Episcopal Conferences of Europe, several Protestant Churches, the Conference of European Churches (CEC), the King Baudouin Foundation, the National Belgian Lottery, companies such as Suez and Ciments d’Obourg and others.
On the 25th September 2001, the official inauguration of the Chapel took place during an ecumenical service. The pastoral responsibility for the chapel is has been entrusted to the Society of Jesus.
May the road rise up